There are a lot of things that I would change about my past practicum. I learned a lot about the new curriculum, inquiry, and the best ways students can learn. Although knowing all this, I still thought back to when I was in school and how I learned. When I was in school, the curriculum was much more content-based. This meant that I learned about many topics, some useful and some not so useful, and was expected to learn these concepts through memorization and regurgitation. Even though I had just learned that these were not the best ways to learn, I still found myself wanting to teach this way during my practicum. This reminds me a lot about the ‘The Backwards Brain Bicycle’ video by Destin Sandlin. Due to my prior knowledge of how school is supposed to look, it was very difficult to change this image. I now realize that it will not take a few classes and one practicum to change how my brain views the school system, but over time as I develop professionally I will see myself making this change.

A strategy I learned, and a strategy we practice in the education department constantly, is partaking in practice lessons. In my classes, I am constantly teaching my classmates. This is great practice for how I should be teaching lessons to fit BC’s curriculum as opposed to the old curriculum. We are also actively debating the best ways to teach our students. By using this constructivist approach, we are taking part in tasks that are meaningful because we practice our lessons, and eventually will be able to use what we have learned in front of our real students (Ertmer & Newby, 2018). 

Based on this realization, and off on the readings, I would consider myself to aim toward constructivist instruction. As I practice lessons with my colleagues, I understand the importance of making meaning through experience (Ertmer & Newby, 2018). I also remind myself that memorization will not help students critically think and problem solve, and therefore students may lack the skills they need (Ertmer & Newby, 2018). My goal is to increase student engagement and participation in all my lessons so that they are actively learning, rather than sitting back and observing. By including my students in my lessons, they will receive the best education I can give them.

Ertmer, P. A. & Newby, T. (2018). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing Critical Features From an Instructional Design Perspective. In R. E. West, Foundations of Learning and Instructional Design Technology: The Past, Present, and Future of Learning and Instructional Design Technology. EdTech Books. Retrieved from https://edtechbooks.org/lidtfoundations/behaviorism_cognitivism_constructivism

SmarterEveryDay. (2015, April 24). The Backwards Brain Bicycle – Smarter Every Day 133 [Video]. YouTube. Retrieved September 24, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0&t=376s